These links will show you VAG-COM in action. They were recorded using VAG-COM to check a real car for real faults
The software version used was 505.1 and the hardware is the HEX-USB+CAN interface
Each link will open a new browser window and some files will take a few seconds to load if you are on a dial-up connection.
Diagnosing an ABS fault (file size approx 400k time before display via modem approx 60 seconds)
This demonstration shows VAG-COM used on a car to diagnose a problem with the ABS system. Various tests and procedures are shown including
- It demonstrates reading fault codes and saving the displayed fault code to a file.
- The code is cleared and after rechecking is found to have immediately re-occured. This indicates the fault is present on the car so further testing is shown
- Next the demonstration shows how the output from each wheel speed sensor is measured and displayed by the software as the car is driven a short distance by an assistant.
- The speed signal from each sensor is shown in the measuring blocks and the output can be seen to count up from 0 kph to approximately 10 kph on three wheels while one wheel remained at 0 kph.
- The output is also shown using the VAG-Scope tool which is included on the CD. This demonstrates how the wheel speeds can be recorded and viewed after a short drive when there is no assistant available to drive the car.
- Finally the ABS pump, brake pedal switch and modulator valve block are tested using the output tests part of the tool.
Checking the automatic transmission (file size approx 200k time before display via modem approx 30 seconds)
This demonstration shows VAG-COM used to test for an intermittent gear change problem. Various tests and procedures are shown including
- Checking the TCU (transmission control unit) for fault codes
- A fault code is found stored in the TCU and the code number together with the text meaning for the code is displayed
- The extra information displayed by VAG-COM shows the code is intermittent
- The live data section of the software shows the values from the throttle sensor and gear selector switch
- Another live data screen shows each gear solenoid and explains what each does in relation to gear changes and driving mode
- The live data is shown at various road speeds and the status for each solenoid is displayed
- The difference between mechanical drive and hydraulic drive is shown and explained
Checking the airbag / SRS system (file size approx 150k time before display via modem approx 20 seconds)
This demonstration shows how the airbag system can be tested with VAG-COM. Various tests and procedures are shown including
- It shows how the fault codes are read from the SRS module and how the circuit status for the drivers and passenger air bags are tested and displayed.
- The circuit status through each pre-tensioner is shown and the supply voltage to the module is checked
- The demonstration also shows the adaption section of the software which is used for enabling or disabling the passenger airbag and other similar functions
Checking the petrol engine management system (file size approx 400k time before display via modem approx 60 seconds)
This demonstration shows VAG-COM used to check the engine management system on a 2.0ltr petrol engine. Various tests and procedures are shown including
- How to check for fault codes, and view the live data from various sensors on the engine.
- It demonstrates how to use the VAG-Scope tool to record the Lambda sensor while the RPM of the engine is varied.
- Next it shows how to view the recorded data and details the Lambda sensor output on the graph together with RPM and engine temperature
- The second half of the demo shows some of the live values from various engine sensors and how they can easily be compared to the manufacturers specifications within the software just by holding the cursor over the displayed value.
- Finally logging the data to the PC hard disc is demonstrated where sensor values can be recorded while driving for later review
Checking the immobiliser system (file size approx 150k time before display via modem approx 20 seconds)
This demonstration shows how to view the information in the immobiliser. Various tests and procedures are shown including
- It shows how the live data measuring blocks are used to check for valid keys and how you would program new keys to the car